Tomorrow starts the first challenge I've participated in at CrossFit College Park, the DAWN challenge. Here is a basic break down:
Diet: Whole30
Attendance: Showing Up and checking in
WODs: Tracking my results
New Habits: make a new habit.
For detailed info visit the website by Clicking Here.
When I first heard of the Whole30, I instantly dismissed it, for several reasons, some simply excuses, some real. Eating healthy and clean is not only hard in our culture, it is expensive, and time consuming. For someone who usually just settles for the convenient, quick and simple meals (like, microwavable or drive through) because they are quick and simple, and usually cheaper (LOVE me a $1 hamburger from McDonald's, and a pack of Ramen Noodles, not together though) the idea of having to actually prepare meals, and think beyond hitting buttons on a microwave, on a daily basis, not exciting to me. Like not at all. It actually is kinda terrifying. Whole30 requires a detox from sugar, grains, dairy and legumes. Basically all the things that make food super yummy. Real talk for a moment: I have food issues. Serious Food issues that will not be fixed in day, a week, or a conversation. The last two or so weeks has made it strikingly clear that my food issues run deep, and I'm tackling those issues, starting with 30 days of detoxing. Maybe one day in the future, I will share a heart felt look at those issues with you, but for now, lets leave it at the fact that the issues are there, and acknowledgement is the biggest part right?
As of this time last week, I was not going to be a part of this challenge, I would show up and follow the AWN part of the challenge, but the Diet part? wasn't gonna stress over it. Then, during a meeting at work, Allison, as she usually does, kinda forced me into saying "Fine! I'll do it" (which is very reminiscent of the conversation about starting Crossfit last March.) But then the issue of a team came into play, 1. I don't wanna let other people down. 2. I am not very social, in fact, new social situations kinda scare me and 3. Everyone I know is already on a team. Well, I added my name onto the list of people who needed a team, and just prayed for people who would be understanding if I failed the diet one day, and still lend all the emotional support I will need. Then, Tuesday night, as I was getting ready for Bible Study, I get a message from a fellow Crossfitter, Alex, asking to join her team with T, and Yolanda, with the added "Want me to prepare your food too?" Ummm, YES. Yes I do. So basically I joined a team, and get the convenience of simply hitting buttons on my microwave, for the most part. Another thing that completely lifted my spirits about this? The following confession/response:
Me: there was a pack of cookies left over from Christmas in our classroom, and I had to of eaten at least 6 today, without even thinking about what I was doing, just because they were there.
T: Only 6?
It helps so much knowing that other people have issues to doesn't it?
So, zoom to today, the eve of the beginning of 30 days of DAWN, and my fridge is stocked with a weeks worth of meals, Whole30 compliant snacks are sitting in a bowl in my kitchen (apples, bananas, avocados, grape tomatoes, etc.) And my brain is trying to wrap around the idea that starting from the time I wake up tomorrow, until February 10, my diet is drastically changing, and it will be hard.
Attendance and WOD tracking are gonna come easy... cause you know, I basically already do that, only difference is figuring out the technology that lets CFCP know. Oh, and I'm gonna attempt to join in on WODs on Tuesdays, so Tri-Cities Ladies, be prepared to see me in Crossfit clothes on Tuesday Nights.
The last portion of this challenge is one that will not be tracked by points for the competition, making a new habit. Well, I've decided my new DAWN specific habit will be.... blogging again. Somewhere along the way, I let myself get busy and kept putting off the blog, then i slowly just stopped thinking about it at all. In the midst of all the preparing for the challenge, I randomly clicked the bookmark for this blog, completely by accident, and the seed was planted. So, my commitment for this habit is more restarting an old one, but hey, I'm calling it legit.
The next thirty days are both exciting and terrifying at the same time. I look forward to sharing the experience.
Now, I'm off to get that Good bye Hamburger I've been thinking about all day, with a Large Sweet tea. :)
oh, and here is a lovely picture of all the food I get to enjoy this week:
No comments:
Post a Comment